Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good Friday

So I'm not very good at talking about my faith. 

I'm not eloquent, succinct, or well-versed in the liturgy.  But I had to share on this holy day a few thoughts Reverend Susan past on to us at our service this evening. 

This is all paraphrased, so forgive my clumsiness.



The Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ:

1. Comfort- our Lord always offers comfort even in the darkest hour.

Jesus saw his own mother, and the disciple standing near whom he loved, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold your son". Then he said to the disciple, "Behold your mother". And from that hour, he took his mother into his family.

2. Forgiveness- even while He was in physical and emotional torment- HE forgave, therefore I too can forgive.

Then Jesus said, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".

3. Salvation- is offered to all, just as it was with the thief on the cross.

And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise".

4. Abandonment- a display of His humanity and ultimate understanding of our own human condition.

Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, saying "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" which is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

5. Distress- a glimpse into the agony His body and soul went through for us, that mirrors our own longings and desires for a closer relationship with Christ.

He said, "I thirst".

6. Reunion- God the Son returns to God the Father, also an example for our own lives- to turn our problems and distress over to God.

And speaking in a loud voice, Jesus said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit".

7. Triumph- Distress, Agony, and Death are conquered!!

Jesus said, "It is finished".

2 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

Very nice.

I hope you have a great Easter!

Brandy@YDK said...

thank you for sharing. hope you had a great easter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...