Tuesday, October 25, 2011

On the road to granola town- Making Syrup

I used to LOVE Starbucks' pumpkin spice latte. 

But I didn't like the price tag. 

So like a good computer addict and wanna-be granola, I decided to get on the internet and find a way to make my own. (side note- non-coffee drinkers can use this too, scroll down for ideas)

I found a couple of great resources, but this one was my favorite.

However, I needed a bigger pumpkin flavor in mine. Not because their recipe isn't great, but because I'm a super fall lover and love pumpkin overload.

So I upped my pumpkin and spices.  I also made more.  Here's my ratios:

For the pumpkin spice syrup:

  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 6 Tbsp canned pumpkin
It takes longer to strain, but I think it's worth it.  One time I did do it with 3 cups water/sugar, and it turned out well.  I just added a dash or two of pumpkin pie spice to give it more kick.

Here's my steps:

 Combine water and sugar- it will appear cloudy.


 Cook sugar and water in a small pot over medium heat until the mixture is completely clear.


Whisk in the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not allow mixture to come to a boil.  (you'll make candy this way)



Allow mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.


Strain syrup through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a large jar or bottle of your choice.  I wet my cheesecloth so it sticks well to my bowl. I also rotate it to allow for better draining.  It takes a lot of time, so I cover mine with a towel and leave it.  I just check back to add more.


 Store in a jar in the fridge. Note- The first day it takes like pumpkin, but the longer it sits the more robust the flavor becomes!!  It lasts a long time!




I personally drink iced coffee, so I add this to milk and strong coffee over ice.  It's fantastic!  You can also change the additions (subtract pumpkin and spices) to vanilla extract for vanilla syrup if you prefer that too.

We have used this syrup over homemade yogurt and pumpkin pancakes.  Even more yummy, so not just for coffee drinkers!

I also have tried this on a smaller scale with sugar substitute and it worked pretty well. Obviously, not the same consistency, but the taste was good considering.

That said, I must warn you.  After making your own, you'll notice the superior flavor and won't be able to drink Starbucks anymore.  Sad, but true. 

BUT your wallet will thank you!

3 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

yum!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Oh, yum! I'm one of those people who doesn't drink coffee, so I like your pancake idea. Or I would add this to some steaming milk. Mmmm. Possibly even hot chocolate, though I'm not sure about that one until I try it. :)

Robin said...

This sounds really good-can't wait to try it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...