Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Worthwhile Wednesday- Looking to the future

So I've been gone for three weeks, because of the sheer craziness of life.  But I'm sure I don't have to explain that to anyone. Therefore, rather than posting about a new technique or recipe, I thought it might be nice to make a little list.

Side note- I'm a list maker.  The feeling of crossing off something from your to do list....is wonderful.

This will be a list of what we've changed in our life so far and what we are planning to change in the future. A let's see where we are in the world list. Here goes:

1. Bake our own bread- preferably sourdough.
2. Make our own laundry soap
3. Conserve water-
       a) using a rain barrel
       b) using grey water as much as we can
4. Use more whole foods- Butter, whole milk, farm fresh eggs
5. Conserve energy
       a) turn off what we don't use- this includes the air conditioner!
       b) switch to better electrical products
       c) line dry our clothes
6. Raise our own chicken for eggs
7. Grow most of our food this spring and summer
8. Clean out the extra stuff in our lives
      a) This is going to be one crazy yard sale- we've got a lot of stuff
9. Preserve most of our winter food this summer
10. Switch to all natural cleaners
11. Switch to all natural soaps
      a) Shampoo bars
      b) Dish soap
      c) Hand soap- this weekend!!
12. Make our own soups, broth, and other meal starters (we actually do this some, just not consistently)
13. Make less trash
      a) move to cloth napkins
      b) move to hankies
      c) use reusable bags
14. Put all our extra money towards any debt we may have- (aka the mortgage) 
15. Buy in bulk for extra savings

So some good progress, but definitely more to go.  I'm definitely proud of the progress we've made, especially because a lot of weeks it's not always easy with our crazy schedule.

More importantly the best parts about making all these changes- A healthier family and huge savings!


Part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #23.

2 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

You're doing great!

My Mom is a big list maker. You'd think it would pass on to me, but no. I write stuff on my hand, ha.

Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment on my "simple things" post. Sometimes it's so nice to stop and count my blessings and to offer thanks for those mundane things and events that often go unnoticed!

I love your latest post since I, too, am a major list maker (and have been known to write things down just so I can cross them off -- oh my). We're in the midst of a major overhaul of our lives (been at it for the past 7 - 8 years) and are working on many of the same things you are. So nice to meet you!

Blessings,

Lisa @ HappinDoleValley :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...