Thursday, June 21, 2012

Worthwhile Wednesday- Nature's bug removal

A little while ago we had some new members added to our family.

Baby Maddy.


Our sweet girls have gotten bigger...


And bigger....


They aren't full grown yet, but they are friendly birds and the girls love playing with them.


Even better, they have finally figured out that they can roam our property, so they are truly free ranging.  I find them every where now and they love to follow me around.
 
Now that they roam, my "girls" are becoming effective helpers.  The caterpillars and other pests have disappeared and as I weed they follow along the garden waiting for me to throw out "goodies".



I can't say enough good things about them.  They are easy to take care of and great at keeping pests away.  Since they free range, they don't actually eat too terribly much feed and they stay out so much there isn't much to clean up.

Happy Sun Bathing!


Right now, I'm just patiently waiting for our first egg.  Nothing like some great pets, that help you garden and can feed you!

Part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways #32 at Frugally Sustainable.

1 comment:

Beth W said...

Brilliant! I love that you're doing the chicken homestead thing- the kids can learn husbandry and the cycle of life, you get eggs, and the hens keep your garden relatively pest-free. What fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...